Sun Breathing in Demon Slayer, is a legendary and forgotten Breathing Style and the first one to ever be created. 500 years ago, during the Sengoku Era (Golden Age of Demon Slayers), the greatest demon slayer yet to be known came to a world ravaged by demons.
He is the founding father of Breathing Styles, as all the breathing styles originated and were modeled after the sun breathing style, later known as Hinokami Kagura, more about that later.
The Sun Breathing style was created by Yoriichi Tsugikuni. It is the progenitor of all breaths in the popular anime Demon Slayer, along with being the first form of breathing style it is also the strongest and uncontestedly remains atop the breath food chain.
Origin of Sun Breathing Style!
The origins of the Sun Breathing starts with Yoriichi Tsugikuni, who was born with unrivaled talent, and he developed the breathing style on his own. Later on, he passed it down to Sumiyoshi, a descendant of the Kamado family and also the Hanafuda earrings along with the 12 forms.
In its history, only four notable users of this technique are present, who were all members of the Kamado family. There are 12 techniques for the Sun Breathing style. Yoriichi was super proficient in this breathing style, he used to take down demons without a sweat, and it was powerful enough to even overwhelm the demon king, Muzan himself.
The Sun breathing and the Hinokami Kagura are breathing styles that bring together the user’s movements, abilities, and techniques, combining them with the sun. A demon slayer using sun breathing can visualize himself manipulating the flames of the sun when unleashing the power of these techniques on demons.
What is Hinokami Kagura?
The Hinokami Kagura and the dance of the fire god (ヒノカミ神楽 (かぐら) ) is a breathing style, which is passed on from generation to generation alongside the Hanafuda earrings that Kamaboko Gonpachiro.. oops we meant Kamado Tanjiro adorns. Tanjiro once remarked that when Yoriichi used to perform the techniques, they were so beautiful and breathtaking that he looked more like a spirit than a man.
In the later manga/anime, Shinjuro Rengoku mentions the unbelievable power that Hinokami Kagura holds, the Legendary Breathing Style known as Sun Breathing. As the Sun is the source of all life forms, this technique became popular. It gave way to different forms, modifying each technique to each individual.
Through the users’ breathing movement techniques it symbolizes the Sun and moves with the user replicating the waves rising from the sun. All forms of this style are varied completely from each other and have no pattern to it; thus it has become a powerful tool to defeat the demons. It leaves long-lasting scars on their immortal bodies, which is not possible with any other breathing style.
The 13 Sun Breathing Forms!
As mentioned before, the style had 12 forms originally, but Yuriichi combined all of them to create a 13th form.
- First form – Dance, which is just a vertical slash.
- Second form – Clear Blue Sky: The user spins their body horizontally to deliver a 360° slash.
- Third form – Raging Sun: The user unleashes two horizontal slashes to hit or defend from incoming attacks.
- Fourth form – Burning Bones, Summer Sun: The user unleashes a large circular slash that defends from imminent frontal attacks.
- Fifth form – Setting Sun Transformation: The user backflips into the air to deliver a powerful upended sword slash that aims to decapitate their target.
- Sixth form – Solar Heat Haze: The user charges towards the target, unleashing a horizontal slash seemingly covered in haze that fails to land, but actually does hit the target.
- Seventh form – Beneficent Radiance: The user spirals into the air and delivers a powerful slash that surrounds the enemy.
- Eighth form – Sunflower Thrust: The user unleashes a single thrust attack with the point of the blade.
- Ninth form – Dragon Sun Halo Head Dance: This form brings the user a continuous fast and powerful sword attack that appears as a Japanese dragon made of solar flames. This technique is capable of decapitating multiple targets at once.
- Tenth form – Fire Wheel: The user leaps behind the opponent and spins in the air downward, releasing a sword attack in a circular motion.
- Eleventh form – Fake Rainbow: In this form, the user performs high-speed twists and rotations that create afterimages, which are mostly used to evade attacks. If the enemy has good vision, afterimages will be most effective.
- Twelfth form – Flame Dance: A two-combo strike which starts with a vertical slash and then a horizontal one right after.
- Thirteenth Form : The user continuously performs all twelve forms of Sun Breathing in succession to improve agility and accuracy while reducing fatigue. It was created for the sole purpose to finish Muzan, since the repetition of all twelve forms intends to destroy Muzan’s twelve vital organs (seven hearts and five brains that move freely inside his body).
Fighting against Rui, Tanjiro realized his Water Breathing skills simply weren’t good enough to deal with such a powerful foe. The result was that he was forced to reflect on his past and remember a certain dance passed down in his family that was interpreted as a breathing technique.
Due to this, Tanjiro used Sun Breathing for the first time, allowing him to gain the upper hand over Rui. The event solidified Tanjiro as a powerful Demon Slayer capable of defeating Muzan once and for all. Still, there’s a long way to go before Tanjiro can finally fight Muzan on equal grounds with Hinokami Kagura.
You might also like:
- What is Moon Breathing in Demon Slayer? [Explained]
- All Demon Slayer Twelve Kizuki Ranked from Strongest to Weakest!
- 7 Breathtaking Anime like Demon Slayer to Watch!
- 6 Amazing Manga like Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba!
Visit the anime community of India-Anime Ukiyo for more content!